Great Crescent Brewery is moving to 315 Importing Street in Aurora this spring. That’s at the corner of Mechanic and Importing Streets in a building built in the 1840s as the J. W. Gaff distillery. The new 9,000 sq ft space will offer beer by the glass, thus becoming a brewpub. An expansion of the brewery will follow.
Dan Valas explains, "Since opening the brewery in November, 2008 in downtown Aurora, we have experienced steady growth. Lani and I believe the opportunity to obtain this building and stay in the downtown area is a terrific benefit for us and the city of Aurora. There is something unique about having a brewery close to the customers. As we continue to develop a growing consumer base we really appreciate interacting with the customers and it continually rededicates us to provide the best experience possible. Our goal is to become a ‘local favorite’ and we will accomplish that by continuing to provide fresh, high quality, hand-crafted beer."
Going to be a busy week for tappings and tastings:
- Wed: Three Floyds night at Rocky’s Sub Pub, Jeffersonville. 4-7pm. On draft: Gumballhead, Dreadnaught, Robert the Bruce, Pride and Joy, Alpha King, Alpha Klaus, Broo Doo, Moloko,Ham on Rye, Großer Kurfürst, and hopefully Alpha King on a beer engine. Bottles: Behemoth, Black Sun Stout, Gorch Foch, Dreadnaught, Pride and Joy, and Alpha King. Do they have any idea what those do to my spell-checker?
- Wed: A firkin of Bell’s Expedition. Plus the Indiana release of Bell’s Hopslam. Intrigued? It’s at Barley Island, Broad Ripple, Jan 13. 6-9pm.
- Thurs: Tapping of Baltic Porter. Both Indy Rock Bottoms, 6pm
- Thurs: Sun King Amarillo the Princess Warrior IPA tapping at Binkley’s Kitchen. 7:30pm
- Plus the regular liquor store tastings all over the state. Find them here.
- Alcatraz Super Sledgehammer – A 7.4% earthy Imperial Saison. Or sort of. Not yet carbonated. Will go on tap next week.
- Brugge Dementia, A Farmhouse Tale – Dark Saison.
- Brugge Thunder Monkey – Spiced ale for the season. Doesn’t get old. While the snow still falls.
- Sun King Crab Apple Wit – Made with fresh hand-pressed crab apple juice, and that ain’t easy to do. 5.6%.
Sun King’s Amber is replacing Warbird’s at the Rathskeller in Indy. It’s unveiled tonight at 7:30. Band at 8. Watch a 120bbl tank being delivered to Three Floyds. Pictures Drie Fonteinen to Stop Brewing, Keep Blending, Start Distilling.