You are all ready for the Indy Winterfest Beer festival. You stopped at Thomlinson Tap in City Market or at Hop Cat Broad Ripple to be banded in advance. You downloaded the map to your phone. – NO? Then go below and grab it. You are reading this on your phone on your way to the Indiana State Fair Grounds in your Lyft or Uber. Maybe you don’t care what I want to try, but 2 quick points:
- have a strategy — new breweries? far away breweries? breweries you never sampled from before? hard to get beers? Those are all good strategies.
2. take your time. Savor! and you will likely enjoy it more if you go back to point 1. it is no fun waking up on Sunday after a fest saying, “I wish I had tried…”
A suggested list:
At the HOP CAT BOOTH:
- Mad Anthony Jonesing for Java Porter Firkin Infuse with Vanilla — if you like porters, coffee, and vanilla then YES! Mad Anthony is a hallmark original Indiana Brewery that many in Central Indiana do not see often enough.
- Shoreline Imperial Raspberry — FOBAB Gold winner aged in red wine barrels and when did you last visit Shoreline?
- Collaboration Sun King + 13 other Indiana breweries Stuck in the Middle Imperial Stout. See my write up here
- Scarlet Lane Gin Barrel Aged Tiberius double IPA — I’m a lover of gin so hops + juniper berries sounds good
- Broad Ripple Brew Pub Global Mango in Cask Tent (or Black Heart at the booth) Oldest brewery in IND, gotta have 1 from BRBP
- New Oberpfalz Brewing Elucidator Doppelboack — went there, liked it, far from home, they love German beer
- Wooden Bear Brewing Shadow Dancer Black IPA — a heart of a city (Greenfield) brewery that locals love, gotta get one
- Upland Hopsynth — I’ve always liked this one and it is expensive and not always easy to find
- Triton Brewing Muletide, white chocolate golden ale at 4.5% — we need some session beers and this is for winter
- The Tap Brewery McGonigal Gruit Ale — because it is a gruit, made with herbs not hops. I like it, try it! Most different!
- Taxman Brewing Certified — quad and this is likely the BA one with cherries.
- Sour Note Brewing Triple Cherry Beet Gose (sister to 18th Street) I mean beets + cherries, sounds healthy!
- Bare Hands Dream Demon Blackberry/Rhubarb Milkshake DIPA Collab (Elm Street). all that says just gotta try it!
- Byway Brewing Co. No Wining white wine /pale ale hybrid — going for unusual from an award winning brewery far away
- Evansville Brewhouse Nazgûl Fuel Black Rye — micro with a beer that a local reporter loved so try it.
- Flix Brewhouse Tripel Carmel-ite — simply love this beer from an award winning brewer
- HopLore Brewing TinLore Oatmeal Stout — a micro in a micro place that gets solid ratings
- Flat12 Bierwerks The CronicKolsch of Narnia raspberry kolsh — going for different!
- Goshen Brewing Where There’s Smoke Black Ale — smoked pepper & vanilla, I’m in
- Round Town Brewery RT Bourbon Lager — single barrel aged Lager from one of the most experienced brewers in Indy
Okay, that was very difficult and you can make your own, too.
Here is where you get the FAQs from BIG
On your phone? CLICK HERE for the MAP